The ‘Mircea Eliade’ fellowship is awarded by the Rector of the University of Bucharest for the study and the preparation for publication of previously unpublished essays, lectures, correspondence and different noteworthy documents of Mircea Eliade, first of all the complete text of his Journal, published so far by its author only fragmentarily. Eliade’s manuscripts are hosted mostly by the Library of the University of Chicago but likely by other archive funds and libraries in the USA and Europe as well. The scientific coordinator of the ‘Mircea Eliade’ fellowship is Prof. Sorin Alexandrescu, the director of the ‘Center of Excellence in Image Studies’ (CESI), University of Bucharest.
Deadline for applications: 15 October 2020
The research fellow is expected to be familiar with the life and oeuvre of Mircea Eliade, to master the English and Romanian languages and to possess at least background knowledge of history of religion and modern Romanian culture. The fellowship is offered for a period of 12 months. Based on yearly evaluations of the research development, the fellowship can be extended to maximum 3 years. The fellow is expected to be in residence in Bucharest, but also to travel to archives.
Who can apply
- Candidates within seven years from their PhD (at the time of application) who have already proven their ability to work successfully as independent researchers. For researchers holding two PhDs, the PhD relevant to the research field of the application will be taken into account.
- The fellowships are mainly addressed to candidates not holding a permanent position in research or higher education and it involves working full-time at the ICUB.
- Candidates who have a work contract with the University of Bucharest are not eligible. Candidates who have permanent positions in other institutions will have to provide an agreement from their institution stating the support for their research activity as ICUB fellows.
- The fellowship is awarded from the funds of the Rectorate of the University of Bucharest, according to the law and to the Procedure regarding the awarding of the ‘Mircea Eliade’ fellowship.
- Fellowship offered for 12 months, with a yearly extension based on an evaluation of the research development (maximum 3 years).
- Stipend: 4000 lei/ month.
- Awards may include travel expenses if the fellow comes from abroad (the equivalent of one round air travel economy class), on the basis of justificatory documents.
- A supplement of maximum 4500 lei per year may be awarded for conference participation, summer schools, research mobility, on the basis of justificatory documents.
- The fellow will be able to use the infrastructure of ICUB and CESI (institutional email address, conference room, computers, scientific databases, etc.).
- ICUB and CESI will provide a scientific programme (conferences and seminars) for the fellow to present their research results, as well as technical and logistic support for organising scientific events (workshops, conferences, symposia, etc.).
The application submission system
The application will be written in English and it will consist in the following:
- The application form;
- CV and publication list;
- Proof of the PhD defense or copy of the PhD certificate;
- Maximum 3 published articles/papers;
- The name, e-mail address and phone numbers of three professors/scholars who can write letters of recommendation for the candidate (the letters will be e-mailed by the referees directly to the ICUB, at email@example.com. If the letters are not sent in the requested time, the application is not eligible);
- The research project (maximum 5 pages; bibliography counts separately);
- Applications should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with attachments in .pdf format.
The Selection System will include three steps:
- The eligibility check.
- Evaluation in a peer-review process (at least 2 expert evaluators for each project).
- Final selection of successful applications in a panel of minimum 3 experts.